8 – 14 May 2017
Established in 1989, National Volunteer Week is the largest celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in Australia, and provides an opportunity to highlight the role of volunteers in our community and to say thank you to the more than 6 million Australians who volunteer.
National Volunteer Week (NVW) is an annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of our nation’s volunteers. With the theme Give Happy, Live Happy, introduced in 2015, we continue in 2016 to celebrate and explore the research that shows volunteers live happier and healthier lives.
The week of celebrations is a terrific opportunity to acknowledge our local volunteers, put on extra training, as well as promote volunteering as a means
to recruit and connect. Importantly, it also sparks opportunities to work in partnership with other community organisations to share resources, expertise and build pathways for community based activities. Research shows volunteers live happier and healthier lives. Pledge to volunteer this National Volunteer Week join the 6 million Australians helping make Australia the happiest place on Earth.
Join us in celebrating and raising the profile of volunteering in our communities.
- 96% of volunteers say that it “makes people happier”.
- 95% of volunteers say that volunteering is related to feelings of wellbeing.
- Volunteer results in a “helper’s high”, a powerful physical and emotional feeling experienced when directly helping others.
- Just a few hours of volunteer work makes a difference in happiness and mood.
- Sustained volunteering is associated with better mental health.
- Altruistic emotions and behaviours are associated with greater well-being, health, and longevity….
If you would like to join us in celebration, have any ideas or just want to know where you can advertise your volunteering celebrations contact us.